"Ultra" Pattern Mk. IX Sniper Rifle
|Basic||250m||S/ – / –||1d10+2 R||0||5||Full||Accurate, Felling(1), Toxic||4||25||–|
Just over two metres in length and weighing close to fifty kilograms, the massive Mk. IX Ultra is as intimidating as it is effective. The Mk. IX is a heavy needle sniper rifle used by the Deathwatch for long-range anti-personnel and anti-materiel work. With its long barrel and powerful scope, the Mk. IX allows a Deathwatch sharpshooter to engage targets with incredible accuracy at very long ranges. The Mk. IX is a highly-respected and revered weapon, and it is often selected as the weapon of choice for Space Marine snipers in many Deathwatch Kill-teams. Each Mk IX has the following integral systems:
- Tailor Made: Each Mk. IX is tailored to fit the Battle-Brother to which it has been assigned. The weapon’s stock and hand guard are matched to the owner’s size and shooting stance, making carrying, pointing, and shooting the sniper rifle as easy and natural as pointing a finger. While this increases the sniper rifle’s accuracy, the custom furniture makes it uncomfortable and nearly impossible for anyone else to use it without serious modification. Each Mk. IX is also fitted with a special security system programmed with the owner’s genetic code. This system, composed of a sensor pad in the palm of the glove worn on the Space Marine’s shooting hand. The Space Marine’s genetic data is then transferred to the weapon’s cogitator and analysed. If the cogitator array senses the owner, the sniper rifle operates as normal. If anyone else attempts to use the weapon, the cogitator will disable the firing mechanism. This renders the sniper rifle unusable until the true owner picks it up again.
- 30x Scope: This powerful telescopic sight allows the sharpshooter to engage enemies at extremely long range. It acts as a telescopic sight.
- Suppressor: This combination silencer and flash concealer reduces both muzzle flash and the signature report of a needle weapon. Any Awareness Tests to locate the sharpshooter via sight or sound suffer an additional -20 penalty and can only be attempted at half the normal distance.
- Highly Accurate: With its long barrel, integral recoil compensators, and under-barrel bipod, the Mk. IX is an incredibly accurate and well-balanced weapon. The Mk. IX has the Accurate Quality, and its turbo-chem needle ammunition means that the weapon has the Toxic Quality as well.
- Astartes Weapon: While this sniper rifle is in the Exotic Category, for Space Marines it counts as a Solid Projectile Weapon. This means that the Astartes Weapon Training Talent is all that is needed for a Space Marine to use this weapon.